I wish these pictures showed how close the sweater color is to the color of Rose's eyes.
She likes it so much. The day I took these, it was fairly warm, but she didn't want to put her t-shirt back on. "No, I wear sweater!" So she wore it for the rest of the day.
In the meantime, I've been sidetracked from Green Gable by a few different things.
a) So far, I have not been able to get gauge, which is 5 stitches per inch. This will definitely affect the look of this sweater, so I have had to do some thinking. If I use #6 needles, as the pattern recommends, I get 5.25 stitches to an inch, not 5. If I go up to #7's, I get a little less than 5, and the fabric is a bit untidy. Now, I did some math, and 200 stitches (the body stitches in the large size) divided by 5.25 stitches per inch is 38 inches. That would make a pretty good fit for me, not too loose, and not too tight. So I keep asking myself, do I trust my math? I haven't decided yet, so there's always...
b) Wendy's toe-up sock. So far, so good, but I'm reserving judgement until I finish one. In theory, you can try it on as you go to get a better fit. But as long as I accurately and honestly count my stitches per inch, my top-down socks fit me just fine. I'm not sure I like the sides of this toe. They're not as neat as the decrease, knit, knit, decrease on either side of a top-down toe. Of course, it could be my sloppy short-rowing. :P
c) The "celtic cable" from A Cardigan for Arwen in the winter 2006 IK. This is a reversible cable, the first I've ever seen, and I couldn't for the life of me wrap my brain around the idea. I've done more than a bit of cabling, and I just did not understand how a cable can have two "right" sides.
Here it is, front side and back side (sorry, they're not the greatest quality pics, but you get the idea -- you can see the pattern on both sides!!).
I still don't understand. But it works.