Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm taking a poll


Dear Rachel,

Look, I did it!

I started the yoke on the green ribbed raglan (henceforth to be known as the GRR). In one way, it was trickier than I thought it would be. I didn't realize that doing a three-needle bind-off to attach the sleeves to the body would tighten up the "turning radius" so much. It was very tough to get the needles around the arm stitches for the first couple of rounds because there was just no stretch in the armpits. Maybe next time I do a raglan, I'll leave the armpit stitches live on waste yarn, then do a three-needle bind-off after I've made some headway on the yoke.

So, I've got a decision to make in not too long, and I'm taking a poll: which neckline do I use?

This was the sweater that inspired me to use that green yarn for a ribbed raglan. The pattern is in the book Knitter's Stash. It uses an I-cord bind-off for the neckline, and it looks very neat and crisp.

And as an aside, the text on the photo says that the sweater "is cleverly shaped with increases and decreases." ?!? Not to be a smart-alec, but aren't most sweaters shaped with increases and decreases? Is there another way to create shaping?

Now, here is the other neckline I'm pondering: the funnel neck, or mock turtleneck as shown in the brown sweater at right. It would take more yarn, but probably not any more time (I imagine an I-cord bind-off will be fairly time-consuming).

I actually like how each neckline looks, for different reasons. I truly am having a hard time making up my mind, so please offer your opinion. And anyone else who may be out there reading this, please feel free to offer yours, as well.

As far as the other two projects go, log cabin still looks like a log cabin, and Cozy still looks like a wad of lace. They're just bigger. Maybe I'll have some pictures of them next time. I'm just so excited that the GRR looks kinda like a sweater now.

Love,

Kim

No comments: