Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Sweater elbows and other stuff

Dear Rachel,

How are you feeling? I hope the doctor took good care of you and you're resting and recovering. I myself am doing fine, although Rose has had two colds (or maybe two flare-ups of one cold) in the last three weeks, and Andy was down with one for a few days. I only pray my luck holds out until the end of the month. I keep drinking water and taking my vitamins.

Rehearsals are not going too badly, though I'm afraid the chorus needs serious help. Our vocal director doesn't seem to be too keen on repetition, but that's really what we need. We need to just go over and over and over the parts, then sing and sing and sing them. But the solos and duets will be fantastic. Here's the show info: Guys & Dolls -- Oct. 20, 21, 27, and 28 -- curtain 7:30 p.m. -- Wilson Middle School, at Goddard and 15th. That's very close to my folks' house. I really hope you can come.

I learned this morning that it is not a good idea to knit anything that requires counting while watching Sesame Street with the daughter. No explanation needed.

In other knitting news, I've made it past the elbow on sleeve number one of the Green Ribbed Raglan. I have to make sure I make myself cast on for the second sleeve the second I put the waste yarn on the last round of this sleeve. Or this sweater may never get done.

I usually hold myself to a strict "Three project" rule. It's really less out of self-discipline than it is due to the frustration of making no headway on anything if I have too many projects on the needles. I like feeling like something is happening when I'm knitting. That said, I have to say that I've been itching to start two items that have been floating around in the back of my head. One is a pair of socks for Shannon out of that striping yarn I bought the last time we were at Ewe-nique Knits together (seems forever ago, doesn't it?), and one is a muff for caroling. You know how Andy and I sing with that Victorian Caroling group? Well, I thought I'd take this pattern from Knitty and use Paton's Wool for the cuffs and then add in a strand of (cover your ears) Fun Fur for the muff part. It would look so perfect with my costume, that is, if it turns out the way I'm envisioning it.

Then there's that other baby blanket I'm planning. I'm thinking basketweave, with a garter stitch border. What do you think?

Feel better and write soon,

Kim

No comments: