Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Weirdness

Alright, alright, alright.

Jo tagged me for the "Six Weird Things" meme, and I think I've finally found six. I mean, I know I've got my weird points (be quiet, Rachel), but listing and describing six? It was tough.

1. I count. I mean, when I'm walking down the stairs in the morning, I count each step. I know how many steps there are, but it doesn't matter. I count them. I count the number of times I move my toothbrush as I brush my teeth. I count the number of stirs as I mix batter. Anything I do that happens at a steady pace, I count.

2. I have watched and loved Star Trek since I was a teenager. The original series, of course, but also each incarnation as it was introduced. My geekiness is in full swing at this time, as all five series are now on television at once, each on one channel or another. I can't remember that ever happening before, and I'm loving it.

3. I have to lie on my back when I first get into bed, to get sleepy. But as I get sleepier, I have to roll to my side to actually fall asleep. I have no idea why.

4. Speaking of sleeping, if I ever have trouble sleeping, watching "Are You Being Served" always helps. It's not that it's a boring program, as a matter of fact, it's one of my favorites. It's just that Detroit Public Television has always played it at 11pm on weeknights, so I think my brain just associates it with getting sleepy. I could pop in a DVD of it at 8:00 and be ready to crawl into bed at 8:30.

5. I know the words to more songs written before 1950 than I do current songs, or even songs that were popular when I was younger. Working in a nursing home for three years contributes to this, but even in high school I could sing "The Sheik of Araby" from beginning to end, not to mention "We'll Meet Again" or "Oh How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning."

6. I love words. I love learning where words come from. I loved finding out that "diva" comes from the Latin for "goddess." Brilliant! And "disaster" -- "dis" (apart) "aster" (stars) -- "separated from the stars, or heavens." How cool is that?

I'm going to break a rule of this meme and only pass it on to my friend Rachel. I'll help you think of weird things if you need me to! Brazil.

Love,

Kim

No comments: